- Ph.D., Materials Science, University of Southern California, 2006
- M.S., Materials Science, University of Southern California, 2002
- B.S., Composites (Minor: Computer Science), Beijing University of Chemical Technology, 2001
- Organic Electronics
- Solar Energy Conversion
- Light Emitting Diodes
- Energy Storage Devices
- Directed- and Self-Assembly of Nanomaterials
My research focuses on the development of new functional materials with controlled chemical and physical properties for applications in a range of technological areas from energy to environmental and information technologies. Of particular interest are solar energy conversion devices, energy storage devices, light emitting devices, transistors and sensors. The research activities involve material synthesis and characterization, device fabrication and testing, and theoretical computation and simulation. Materials of interest range from organics to metallo-organics, polymers, and organic/inorganic hybrids. The major purpose of the research is to study the underlying chemical and physical properties of new materials, and understand how molecular structure and processing conditions control the material properties and affect their performance in devices. The end of the research is fundamental knowledge of the structure-property-processing-performance relationships that allows for the further development of materials and devices with desired properties and performance.
Professional Affiliations & Qualifications
- Associate Professor, Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, and Materials Science Program, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, 08/2013-Present.
- Staff Scientist and Principal Investigator, The Molecular Foundry, Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 06/2008-08/2013.
- Chemist Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 01/2006-06/2008.
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Southern California, 09/2001-12/2005.
- Member of Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Member of American Chemistry Society (ACS)
- Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program, LBNL, Co-PI, 2012-2014
- The Molecular Foundry Challenge Grant, LBNL, Co-PI, 2010-2012
- Dean's Fellowship, Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California, 2001-2004
Selected Peer-reviewed Journal Articles:
- Wang, C.; Hwang, D.; Yu, Z.; Takei, K.; Park, J.; Chen, T.; Ma, B.; Javey, A; User-Interactive Electronic Skin for Instantaneous Pressure Visualization, Nature Materials, 2013, In Press (DOI: 10.1038/nmat3711)
- Han, M.; Kim, H.; Seo, H.; Ma, B.; Park, J-W; Photovoltaic Efficiency Enhancement by the Geneartion of Embedded Passivation Layer along the P3HT/PCBM Interfaces Using an Asymmetric Block Copolymer Additive, Advanced Materials, 2012, 24, 6311-6317.
- Shelton, S.; Chen, T. L.; Barclay, D. E.; Ma, B.*; Solution Processable Triindoles as Hole Selective Materials for Organic Solar Cells, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2012, 4, 2534-2540.
- Leblebici, S. Y.; Catane, L.; Barclay D. E.; Olson, T.; Chen, T. L.; Ma, B.*; Solution Processable Near-Infrared Azadipyrromethenes as Electron Donor for Efficient Planar Heterojunction Organic Solar Cells, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2011, 3, 4469-4474.
- Chen, J.; Chen, T.; Kim, B.; Poulsen, D. A.; Mynar, J. L.; Fréchet, J. M. J.; Ma, B.*; Quinacridone-Based Molecular Donors for Solution Processed Bulk-Heterojunction Organic Solar Cells, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2010, 2, 2679-2686.
- Liang, X.; Chen, T.; Jung Y. S.; Miyamoto, Y.; Han, G.; Cabrini, S.; Ma, B.*; Olynick, D.; Nanoimprint-Induced Molecular-Stacking and Pattern Stabilization in A Solution-Processed Subphthalocyanine Film, ACS Nano, 2010, 4, 2627-2634.
- Kim, B.; Ma B.*; Donuru, V. R.; Liu, H.; Fréchet J. M. J.; BODIPY-Backboned Polymers as Electron Donor in Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells, Chemical Communications, 2010, 46,4148-4150.
- Poulsen, D. A.; Kim, B.; Ma, B.; Zonte, S.; Fréchet, J. M. J.; Site-Isolation in Phosphorescent Bichromophoric Block Copolymers Designed for White Electroluminescence, Advanced Materials, 2010, 22, 77–82.
- Ma, B.*; Woo, C. H.; Miyamoto, Y.; Fréchet, J. M. J.; Solution Processing of a Small Molecule, Subnaphthalocyanine, for Efficient Organic Photovoltaic Cells, Chemistry of Materials, 2009, 21, 1413–1417.
- Ma, B.; Kim, B. J.; Poulsen, D. A.; Pastine, S.; Fréchet, J. M. J.; Multifunctional Crosslinkable Iridium Complexes as Hole Transporting/Electron Blocking and Emitting Materials for Solution Processed Multilayer Organic Light Emitting Diodes, Advanced Functional Materials, 2009, 19, 1024-1031.
- Ma, B.; Kim, B. J.; Deng, L.; Poulsen, D. A.; Thompson, M. E.; Fréchet, J. M. J.; Bipolar Copolymers as Host for Electroluminescent Devices: Effects of Molecular Structure on Film Morphology and Device Performance, Macromolecules, 2007, 40, 8156-8161.
- Ma, B.; Djurovich, P. I.; Garon, S.; Alleyne, B.; Thompson, M. E.; Platinum Binuclear Complexes as Phosphorescent Dopants for Monochromatic and White OLEDs, Advanced Functional Materials, 2006, 16, 2438-2446.
- Sun, Y.; Giebink, N. C.; Kanno, H.; Ma, B.; Thompson, M. E.; Forrest, S.; Management of singlet and triplet excitons to achieve high efficiency white organic light emitting devices, Nature, 2006, 440, 908-912.
- Ma, B.; Li, J.; Djurovich, P. I.; Yousufuddin, M.; Bau, R.; Thompson, M. E.; Synthetic Control of Pt Pt Separation and Photophysics of Binuclear Platinum Complexes, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2005, 127, 28 -29.