The Mechanical Engineering Graduate Program is designed to train engineers who can embark upon a successful career in areas at the forefront of engineering and science, whether in industry, research or academia. During their training, students will learn the fundamental knowledge and essential skills that will allow them to continue to grow throughout their careers. Our program emphasizes a fundamental approach to engineering and science in which students become skilled at clearly defining problems and then bringing their knowledge of the fundamental principles and techniques to design and implement optimal solutions. This philosophy is incorporated in all aspects of the graduate program, from course design and teaching as well in the research activities conducted by our faculty.
The Department offers two graduate degree programs: the Master of Science (MS) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). The Master's program offers a thesis and non-thesis option, while the Doctoral program offers a standard track for students that already have a Master's degree and a direct BS to PhD track for students that only have a bachelor's degree.
Master of Science (MS) in Mechanical Engineering
- BS-MS Program: Provides students with a unique opportunity to combine advanced undergraduate and graduate studies in mechanical engineering with practical, real-world, product-oriented experience in the engineering of mechanical systems.
- Thesis Option: Designed for students interested in pursuing a career in research or continuing on to a doctoral program. There are two MS thesis tracks or majors: Mechanical Engineering and Sustainable Energy. Students completing the MSME thesis will earn a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Non-Thesis Option: Designed to accommodate the needs of students already in the workforce or who are pursing non-research careers.
Master of Science (MS) in Materials Science and Engineering
- Thesis Option: Materials Science and Engineering is a broad and interdisciplinary program, building on fundamentals of engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Mechanical Engineering
- PhD Program: Designed for students who have already obtained a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- BS-PhD Program: Designed for promising undergraduate students with strong academic credentials and potential for research. The program offers greater flexibility and shortens the time need to complete a PhD degree.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Materials Science and Engineering
- PhD Program: Materials Science and Engineering is a broad and interdisciplinary program, building on fundamentals of engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology.