- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2002
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 1995
- Stem cell technology and engineering
- Tissue engineering and biomaterials
- Cell processing and bioprocessing
Professional Affiliations & Qualifications
- 2009-2011, Principal Scientist, Group/Project Leader, Department of Process Sciences, Geron Corporation
- 2007-2009, Senior Scientist, Department of Process Sciences, Geron Corporation
- 2003-2006, Scientist II, Department of Product Development, Geron Corportation
- 2002-2003, Scientist, Department of Product Development, Geron Corporation
- Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- Geronosity Award, Geron Corporation
- Award of Achievement, Geron Corporation
- Presidential Fellowship, The Ohio State University
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles:
- S Sart, SN Agathos, Y Li. Engineering stem cell fate with biochemical and biomechanical properties of microcarriers. Biotechnology Progress 2013, In Press.
- S Sart, A-C Tsai, Y Li, T Ma. Three-dimensional aggregates of mesenchymal stem cells: cellular mechanisms, biological properties, and applications. Tissue Engineering Part B Reviews, 2013, In Press.
- M Liu, Y Li, S-T Yang. Expansion of human amniotic fluid stem cells in 3-Dimensional fibrous scaffolds in stirred bioreactors. Biochemical Engineering Journal. 2013, In Press.
- M Liu, Y Li, S-T Yang. Curculigoside improves osteogenesis of human amniotic fluid derived stem cells. Stem Cells and Development 2013, In Press.
- S Sart, T Ma, Y Li. Extracellular matrices decellularized from embryonic stem cells maintained their structure and signaling specificity. Tissue Engineering Part A, 2013, In Press.
- M Liu, N Liu, R Zang, Y Li, S-T Yang. Engineering stem cell niches in bioreactors. World Journal of Stem Cells, 2013, 5: 124-135.
- Y Li, S Sart, SN Agathos. Mass production of stem cell-derived progeny in bioreactors (editorial). International Journal of Stem Cell Research and Transplantation. 2013, 1: 201-203.
- N Liu, R Zang, S-T Yang, Y Li. Stem cell engineering in bioreactors for large scale bioprocessing. Engineering in Life Sciences, 2013, In press, doi: 10.1002/elsc.201300013.
- N Liu, A Ouyang, Y Li, and S-T Yang. Three-dimensional neural differentiation of embryonic stem cells with ACM induction in microfibrous matrices in bioreactors. Biotechnology Progress 2013, 29: 1013-1022.
- Y Li, A Gautam, J Yang, L Qiu, Z Melkoumian, J Weber, L Telukuntla, R Srivastava, E Whiteley, R Brandenberger. Oligodendrocyte progenitor cell differentiation from human embryonic stem cells on vitronectin-derived synthetic peptide acrylate surface. Stem Cells and Development 2013, 22, 1497-1505.
- N Liu, Y Li, and S-T Yang. Microfibrous carriers for integrated expansion and neural differentiation of embryonic stem cells in suspension bioreactor. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 2013; 75: 55-63.
- BM Mooney, NA Raof, Y Li, Y Xie. Convergent mechanisms in pluripotent stem cells and cancer: Implications for stem cell engineering. Biotechnology Journal 2013; 8: 408-419.
- S Sart, T Ma, Y Li. Cryopreservation of pluripotent stem cell aggregates in defined protein-free formulation. Biotechnology Progress 2013; 29: 143-153.
- Y Li, T Ma. Bioprocessing of cryopreservation for large scale banking of human pluripotent stem cells. BioResearch Open Access. 2012, 1: 205-214.
- Y Li, T Ma. Stem cell-based dendritic cell vaccine development: a review with emphasis on l ung cancer treatment. Journal of Hematological Malignancies, 2011; 1: 35-48.
- C Xu, S Police, M Hassanipour, Y Li, Y Chen, C Priest, C O'Sullivan, MA Laflamme, W-Z Zhu, J Yang, K Delavan-Boorsma, A Davies, J Lebkowski and JD Gold. Efficient generation and cryopreservation of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells. Regenerative Medicine, 2011; 6(1): 53-66.
- Y Li, S Powell, E Brunette, J Lebkowski, R Mandalam. Expansion of human embryonic stem cells in defined serum-free medium free of animal-derived products. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2005; 91: 688-698.
- O Genbacev, A Krtolica, T Zdravkovic, E Brunette, S Powell, A Nath, E Caceres, M McMaster, S McDonagh, Y Li, R Mandalam, J Lebkowski, SJ Fisher. Serum-free derivation of human embryonic stem cell lines on human placental fibroblast feeders. Fertility and Sterility. 2005; 83: 1517-1529.
- R Brandenberger, H Wei, S Zhang, S Lei, J Murage, G Fisk, Y Li, C Xu, R Fang, K Guegler, MS Rao, R Mandalam, J Lebkowski and LW Stanton. Signaling networks that control human ES cell growth and differentiation elucidated by transcriptome characterization. Nature Biotechnology 2004; 22: 707- 716.
- Y Li, DA Kniss, LC Lasky, ST Yang. Culturing and differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells in 3-D fibrous matrix. Cytotechnology. 2003; 41: 23-35.
- Y Xie, T Sproule, Y Li, H Powell, J Lannutti, DA Kniss. Nanoscale modifications of PET polymer surfaces via oxygen-plasma discharge yield minimal changes in attachment and growth of mammalian epithelial and mesenchymal cells in vitro. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. 2002; 61: 234-245.
- DA Kniss, Y Xie, Y Li, S Kumar, EA Linton, P Cohen, P Fan-Havard, CW Redman, IL Sargent. ED27 trophoblast-like cells isolated from first-trimester chorionic villi are genetically identical to HeLa cells yet exhibit a distinct phenotype. Placenta. 2002; 23: 32-43.
- Y Li, ST Yang. Review: Effects of three-dimensional scaffolds on c ell organization and tissue development. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering. 2001; 6: 311-325.
- Y Li, T Ma, DA Kniss, LC Lasky, ST Yang. Effects of filtration seeding on cell density, spatial distribution and proliferation in nonwoven fibrous matrices. Biotechnology Progress. 2001; 17: 935-944.
- Y Li, T Ma, DA Kniss, ST Yang, LC Lasky. Human cord cell hematopoiesis and expansion in 3-D nonwoven fibrous matrices: In vitro simulation of the marrow microenvironment. Journal of Hematotherapy & Stem Cell Research. 2001; 10:355-368. /
- Y Li, T Ma, ST Yang, DA Kniss. Thermal compression and characterization of 3-D nonwoven PET matrices as tissue engineering scaffolds. Biomaterials. 2001; 22: 609-618.
- T Ma, Y Li, ST Yang, DA Kniss. Effects of pore size in 3-D fibrous matrix on hum an trophoblast tissue development. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 2000; 70: 606-618.
- T Ma, Y Li, ST Yang, DA Kniss. Tissue engineering human placenta trophoblast cells in 3-D fibrous matrix: spatial effects on c ell proliferation and function. Biotechnology Progress. 1999; 15: 715-724.
- R Mandalam, Y Li, S Powell, E Brunette, J Lebkowski. Production of human embryonic stem cell derived cellular product for therapeutic use. Chapter 15 In J. Odorico, S-C. Zhang and R. Pedersen (ed.). "Human embryonic stem cells" BIOS Scientific Publishers. Oxon UK and New York USA, 2005, pp289-299.
- Y Li, ST Yang. Stem cell-based tissue engineering. In D.R. Heldman (ed.). "Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering" Marcel Dekker, 2004, pp1-6.
- Chunhui Xu, Yan Li, Ramkumar Mandalam. Medium for growing human embryonic stem cells. Issued United States Patent 7,455,983; Issued UK Patent GB2431165; Issued Canada Patent CA2573437; Issued EPO Patent EP1809739.
- Ramkumar Mandalam, Yan Li, Isabelle Nadeau. Suspension culture of human embryonic stem cells. US Patent Application, 20100144033; Issued UK Patent GB2441488; Issued Canada Patent CA2613369; Issued EPO Patent EP1910516; With issued patent by Korea, China, Singapore.