The Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (ChE-BME) is one of five departments within the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, a joint venture between Florida State University and Florida A&M University. BS (ABET-accredited), MS, and PhD degrees are offered in Chemical Engineering, and MS and PhD degrees are granted in Biomedical Engineering. All undergraduate students studying for a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering may choose from one of three major options within the program, including Chemical, Materials, and Biomedical Engineering.
The Department emphasizes a balance of teaching and research in forefront areas of modern chemical and biomedical engineering, and it has made an impact on the field in many aspects of education and research. Fourteen full-time and one half-time instructors, one research associate/academic advisor, and several adjunct and affiliated professors comprise the faculty. The student body consists of about 175 undergraduates and 30 graduate students. 34 BS, 6 MS, and 5 PhD degrees were awarded during the 2011-2012 academic year.
Major departmental research efforts are active in the following areas:
- Multiphase transport processes with reaction
- Reaction modeling and analysis
- Polymer characterization and crystallization
- Bioconversion of complex organic materials
- Nuclear magnetic resonance studies of materials and biological samples
- Non-equilibrium processes
- Environmental hazards mitigation
- Electrochemical and fuel cell engineering
- Dynamics and separation of biological macromolecules
- Cellular and tissue engineering
- Colloidal engineering
Active research collaborations continue with the Florida State University Institute of Molecular Biophysics (IMB), Department of Scientific Computing, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL), Biomedical Research Facility - Laboratory Animal Resources (BRF-LAR), and the Departments of Chemistry, Physics, and Biological Sciences; the Florida A&M University Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; and the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering Departments of Mechanical, Electrical, and Industrial Engineering.